18 Aug One Couple’s First Year of Full-Time Travel – 2 Minute Video
This post is a guest video from our fellow intentional travelers, Dorene and Troy from Travel Life Experiences. Troy and Dorene left their home and their 20-year corporate careers to redesign their life on their own terms. Their first year was about having fun, traveling around the world, and getting used to their new way of life. This video shares highlights of their first year of full-time travel in a 2-minute video reel. We hope you’ll find it as inspiring as we do!
Our year of travel in a 2-minute video
Is it possible to capture a full years worth of activities, let alone travel experiences in a short video? We made an effort to do that, to capture some of our favorite moments of 2015, our life-transforming year; the year we left our lives for a new location independent lifestyle and to start our Travel Life.
A year earlier, we took 12 months to plan our new lifestyle. We no longer owned a home, left our established careers after 20 years, and crammed our few remaining possessions into two backpacks each. Our mantra for 2015 was change – a word that symbolized our new approach to living. We learned how to live more simply, free of possessions, and developed new skills to create new careers. We learned about our own limits, our fears, and our challenges. Most importantly, we learned more about each other than we ever imagined, even after 9 years of marriage.
Where we went to during our life transforming year
Our video includes clips 365 days of travel included: Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Indonesia, Australia, Portland, Oregon, U.S.A. Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and Colombia.
Here are the places that are featured in the video, with additional links to information if you want to discover more!
- Leaving our home in Toronto, Canada for the last time.
- Celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary in the place we got married – At the Wat Plai Laem Buddhist temple in Ko Samui, Thailand. Our ceremonial start to our new life to the place we started our marriage and we haven’t been back until then.
- Bike riding with locals in Chiang Mai, Thailand – A local bike tour you can take in Chiang Mai to tour the city, and get a sense of local culture.
- Enjoying the Night Markets in Luang Prabang, Laos
- Boating to the Pak Ou Caves, in Laos
- Motorbiking and Kayaking in the adventure town of Vang Vieng, Laos – A fascinating adventure town, whether you are old, young, adventurous or want to relax.
- Spending hours touring inside the temples in Bagan, Myanmar – Bagan has over 4000 temples to explore all at your own pace.
- Trekking in villages in Kalaw to Inle Lake, Myanmar – A 4 day trek walking and staying in local villages in the central highlands of Myanmar
- Spending a day on a boat touring on Inle Lake in Myanmar An unforgettable boat trip exploring the villages around Inle Lake, in Myanmar.
- Sunrise on a fishing boat with a local in Amed, Bali – We asked a local fisherman and restauranteur how he spends his early mornings on the Bali Sea.
- In awe of a traditional dancing ceremony in Bali, Indonesia– Watching the traditional Kecak dance, with sounds made only by the voices of men, imitating monkeys.
- On a boat trip to see the Komodo dragons in Indonesia
- Touring The Great Ocean Drive, NSW, Australia
- Watching street performers Melbourne Night Market, Melbourne, NSW, Australia
- Attending Spanish classes in Grenada, Nicaragua
- Climbing volcanoes on Ometepe Island in Nicaragua
- Pet Sitting in Guanacaste, Costa Rica and Panama City
- Visiting the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal, in Panama City
- Hiking in Boquete, Panama
- Visiting the amazing country of Colombia and spending time in Medellín, Colombia
- Visiting cocoa farms and making chocolate in San Francisco, Colombia
- Enjoying a weekend in the old town of Cartagena, Colombia
Thanks for watching! Have you traveled for an extended period of time? Where did you go, and what did you see? What are your favorite travel experiences?
Get our best tips and resources for transformational travel
Subscribe now to get our free Checklist for International Travel, plus other exclusive content about how to travel more, save money, and enjoy transformational experiences around the world.